What is Software Testing?
Coders or software engineers are responsible for developing a code. The developed code is then checked by a team of software testers. The aim of software testing is to ensure that the output of the code is in accordance with the desired result. It helps identify any errors or gaps in the code. After a particular error has been fixed, it may give rise to some other glitches. This helps determine the quality of the software and provide a feedback to the developers regarding software bugs. It is essential that the code works in the desired environment, is quick to load and is user-friendly.
It might sound easy, but even the simplest of codes have to work for infinite values. Thus, specialists are required for this field. There are various testing methods, levels, types and processes a code has to go through. Software testing is indeed, quite a lucrative field.
Scope for Students with Gap
A few years gap after education is often not considered a good sign by hiring managers. But software testing is a field you can explore, if you are in the above situation. There are various certification courses which you can pursue to show the future employers your true potential. A number of online resources give you a chance to work freelance on software testing projects. You don’t necessarily need a college degree in a related course to land a job as a software tester. You can build your skills and resume even after graduation. If you can convince the employer of your credibility, responsibility and skill set, a gap of few years won’t be a hindrance.
The immense scope in this field and need of testers presents a large number of opportunities. You can start as a test engineer and move up the ladder. Positions like QA manager, analyst and security tester are available to people who have the know-how of testing. The pay scale is quite attractive and the career growth offered is unparalleled. As long as codes are being developed, there will be a need for testers. Students must not fret about their gap years but instead, focus on learning the skill. Joining a reputed software testing institute, like SQUAD Infotech Pvt. Ltd., which always help you in finding right job.
Examining of software can be carried out through both Selenium and Manual tests method, but it will totally depend on the project necessity, budget from the task, and which assessment method will be best for the task. Here you will get basic differences between Manual Tests and Selenium Screening. Enjoy reading it and also try to figure out which is most beneficial for assembling your project.
Selenium Tests vs. Manual Testing
- Selenium assessment performs the same procedure each time; Manual evaluation is not reliable. Like this test execution is not accurate on a regular basis.
- Selenium trials will be beneficial to execute the group of test situations frequently; Manual trials will be useful when the test circumstance only must run a few times.
- After making Selenium test suites, fewer testers are necessary to do the test conditions; to perform the test situations whenever tester requires the same timeframe, more manual testers are needed.
- Using Selenium trials, testers can test complicated software too. Manual testing generally does not involve in coding process to fetch concealed information.
- Selenium operates test situations significantly faster than recruiting; Manual trials are slower than selenium. Working tests manually can be quite time consuming.
- Some time it isn’t helpful in UI trials; Manual tests are much helpful in UI testing
- Selenium evaluation is very helpful for automating the Build Confirmation Testing & it isn’t mundane and tiresome. To perform the Build Confirmation Screening is very mundane and tiresome in manual screening.
- Preliminary cost of selenium assessment is more than manual screening but useful always;Manual evaluation requires less cost than selenium.
After knowing all benefits and drawbacks of manual and selenium testing, it is not hard to choose whatever type of trials pays to in a specific situation. It is obvious that the same kind of screening can not be used in every situation, so making a good decision can save your valuable time and help in improvement of results. For brilliance in software tests, both assessment methods are needed and both should be examined sensibly because those ideals characterize the key of software QA.
Starting a freelance software testing project is same as any other project. It requires rigorous planning, well thought out tests, and excellent communication skills. As a freelancer however, you may feel more responsible in making sure that your client is fully satisfied with your work. Doing your work with dedication is very necessary. You will have a better chance of getting more work from them in the future.
Question yourself first. Why do you want to become a software tester? How will you achieve your goal? Why software testing, why not programming or graphic designing? Keep asking these questions until you find what really motivates you. If it inspires you, start working on it. Know what software testing actually is. It is an investigation done to provide stakeholders the information about a specific product. Know the requirements you need to fulfill in order to become a freelance software tester. You need to focus on your technical and basic programming skills, knowledge of mobile technology and brush up your critical thinking and creativity.
One of the most common myths about being a software tester is that you need to be a programmer to become a good software tester. This is completely wrong. You don’t have to be an expert in programming. But you should have knowledge about basic coding.
Before you take any step, you want to clarify with your client as much as possible. Tell them everything about it. This means you can provide them the biggest return for their money if needed. Remember not to ever underestimate the clients. They can actually turn out to be smarter than you think.
Make sure you have all the things you need to test. If you are testing remotely, ensure that you have suitable bandwidth, hardware, software to support the testing required otherwise it will create a problem. If you are really into it, start as early as possible.
Also, remember that communication skills are vital for your business. If you are good at communicating with others, you are fit for this job. Freelancers should be good at communication and presentation, since they need to explain scope of work to client every time.
Choosing a good software testing training institute like SQUAD Infotech is always a difficult task. Many institutes fake about their staff skills, experience, and education. Some of the institutes make false commitments of 100 % placement. You should get all the details of the institutes before joining any institute. The focus must be on the syllabus, course content, and quality of teaching.
Factors to keep in mind before joining any Software Testing Course
- Which tools are covered during the automation testing course
- Concepts of both automation as well as manual testing should be taught to the students
- What kind of tools are being used for the automation testing course? You also need to know about the types of projects that will be covered during the same
- Check the course content of the software institute and ensure they cover all the relevant topics as per your requirements
- You can get feedback and recommendations from friends who have already passed out from that institute
- A certificate should be provided after the successful completion of the software testing course. It will add a value to your resume, when you will be searching for a job as a software tester
- Job guarantee should be there. If the institute claims of 100% placement guarantee, it must be written on registered legal document
- Soft skills and presentation skills training form a part of software testing class for overall personality development of the students. It helps gain confidence and success in interviews
- Enquire about the last campus placements conducted at the institute. Get to know about the companies visited and recruited.
- Who is your mentor, and what are his/her qualifications
- Syllabus of course content must be relevant to you
- Aptitude training should be a part of a program as it helps the students to crack aptitude tests when they face different rounds of interviews. Mock interviews should be conducted, which provide students valuable tips for cracking real interviews. It keeps the candidate’s moral high and gives confidence
- Foreign language coaching should be provided, either in German or French languages for overseas placements
We try to get to the root of some myths surrounding software testing:
Testing is unexciting – Testing appears to be a dull and repetitive job. People have a misconception that the tester’s work is always the same and they keep doing the same data entry without any innovation.
Fact – Testing is an ongoing process and requires innovation and creativity at each level.
No training is required in testing – This is another myth, leading many to believe that testing is an easy job and requires no formal training and practice. People believe that it is not difficult to find and create the bug.
Fact – There are cases when testing is tedious and more complicated than development. In few of the projects sometimes it is hard to analyse the behaviour without code. Testers require an in-depth understanding of methods and processes of testing. Formal training is required to enhance the skills of the tester.
Software testing and quality control are same – 85% people think that software testing and quality control are the same. Quality control, software testing and quality assurance are similarly-used terms.
Fact – Testing is only a constituent of software quality control. It recognizes the bugs for a stakeholder. Quality control includes many other processes such as self-review, peer review, and structured walk.
The purpose of testing is to ensure a defect free product – Most people think that the prime objective of software testing to create 100% defect free products.
Fact – The aim of testing is to discover as many errors as possible, whileensuring that the software meets the requirements of the user. Identifying and resolving all the defects is not possible.
Automation process replaces the needs of manual testing – This common myth assumes that automated software testing are equivalent to the manual tests.
Fact – Automation tools cannot replace human feelings and emotion. For instance, a tool can test the colour, font, and layout of the screen but cannot analyze the judgment and skills required to develop the software.