What is Software Testing?
Coders or software engineers are responsible for developing a code. The developed code is then checked by a team of software testers. The aim of software testing is to ensure that the output of the code is in accordance with the desired result. It helps identify any errors or gaps in the code. After a particular error has been fixed, it may give rise to some other glitches. This helps determine the quality of the software and provide a feedback to the developers regarding software bugs. It is essential that the code works in the desired environment, is quick to load and is user-friendly.
It might sound easy, but even the simplest of codes have to work for infinite values. Thus, specialists are required for this field. There are various testing methods, levels, types and processes a code has to go through. Software testing is indeed, quite a lucrative field.
Scope for Students with Gap
A few years gap after education is often not considered a good sign by hiring managers. But software testing is a field you can explore, if you are in the above situation. There are various certification courses which you can pursue to show the future employers your true potential. A number of online resources give you a chance to work freelance on software testing projects. You don’t necessarily need a college degree in a related course to land a job as a software tester. You can build your skills and resume even after graduation. If you can convince the employer of your credibility, responsibility and skill set, a gap of few years won’t be a hindrance.
The immense scope in this field and need of testers presents a large number of opportunities. You can start as a test engineer and move up the ladder. Positions like QA manager, analyst and security tester are available to people who have the know-how of testing. The pay scale is quite attractive and the career growth offered is unparalleled. As long as codes are being developed, there will be a need for testers. Students must not fret about their gap years but instead, focus on learning the skill. Joining a reputed software testing institute, like SQUAD Infotech Pvt. Ltd., which always help you in finding right job.
Examining of software can be carried out through both Selenium and Manual tests method, but it will totally depend on the project necessity, budget from the task, and which assessment method will be best for the task. Here you will get basic differences between Manual Tests and Selenium Screening. Enjoy reading it and also try to figure out which is most beneficial for assembling your project.
Selenium Tests vs. Manual Testing
- Selenium assessment performs the same procedure each time; Manual evaluation is not reliable. Like this test execution is not accurate on a regular basis.
- Selenium trials will be beneficial to execute the group of test situations frequently; Manual trials will be useful when the test circumstance only must run a few times.
- After making Selenium test suites, fewer testers are necessary to do the test conditions; to perform the test situations whenever tester requires the same timeframe, more manual testers are needed.
- Using Selenium trials, testers can test complicated software too. Manual testing generally does not involve in coding process to fetch concealed information.
- Selenium operates test situations significantly faster than recruiting; Manual trials are slower than selenium. Working tests manually can be quite time consuming.
- Some time it isn’t helpful in UI trials; Manual tests are much helpful in UI testing
- Selenium evaluation is very helpful for automating the Build Confirmation Testing & it isn’t mundane and tiresome. To perform the Build Confirmation Screening is very mundane and tiresome in manual screening.
- Preliminary cost of selenium assessment is more than manual screening but useful always;Manual evaluation requires less cost than selenium.
After knowing all benefits and drawbacks of manual and selenium testing, it is not hard to choose whatever type of trials pays to in a specific situation. It is obvious that the same kind of screening can not be used in every situation, so making a good decision can save your valuable time and help in improvement of results. For brilliance in software tests, both assessment methods are needed and both should be examined sensibly because those ideals characterize the key of software QA.
Starting a freelance software testing project is same as any other project. It requires rigorous planning, well thought out tests, and excellent communication skills. As a freelancer however, you may feel more responsible in making sure that your client is fully satisfied with your work. Doing your work with dedication is very necessary. You will have a better chance of getting more work from them in the future.
Question yourself first. Why do you want to become a software tester? How will you achieve your goal? Why software testing, why not programming or graphic designing? Keep asking these questions until you find what really motivates you. If it inspires you, start working on it. Know what software testing actually is. It is an investigation done to provide stakeholders the information about a specific product. Know the requirements you need to fulfill in order to become a freelance software tester. You need to focus on your technical and basic programming skills, knowledge of mobile technology and brush up your critical thinking and creativity.
One of the most common myths about being a software tester is that you need to be a programmer to become a good software tester. This is completely wrong. You don’t have to be an expert in programming. But you should have knowledge about basic coding.
Before you take any step, you want to clarify with your client as much as possible. Tell them everything about it. This means you can provide them the biggest return for their money if needed. Remember not to ever underestimate the clients. They can actually turn out to be smarter than you think.
Make sure you have all the things you need to test. If you are testing remotely, ensure that you have suitable bandwidth, hardware, software to support the testing required otherwise it will create a problem. If you are really into it, start as early as possible.
Also, remember that communication skills are vital for your business. If you are good at communicating with others, you are fit for this job. Freelancers should be good at communication and presentation, since they need to explain scope of work to client every time.
Choosing a good software testing training institute like SQUAD Infotech is always a difficult task. Many institutes fake about their staff skills, experience, and education. Some of the institutes make false commitments of 100 % placement. You should get all the details of the institutes before joining any institute. The focus must be on the syllabus, course content, and quality of teaching.
Factors to keep in mind before joining any Software Testing Course
- Which tools are covered during the automation testing course
- Concepts of both automation as well as manual testing should be taught to the students
- What kind of tools are being used for the automation testing course? You also need to know about the types of projects that will be covered during the same
- Check the course content of the software institute and ensure they cover all the relevant topics as per your requirements
- You can get feedback and recommendations from friends who have already passed out from that institute
- A certificate should be provided after the successful completion of the software testing course. It will add a value to your resume, when you will be searching for a job as a software tester
- Job guarantee should be there. If the institute claims of 100% placement guarantee, it must be written on registered legal document
- Soft skills and presentation skills training form a part of software testing class for overall personality development of the students. It helps gain confidence and success in interviews
- Enquire about the last campus placements conducted at the institute. Get to know about the companies visited and recruited.
- Who is your mentor, and what are his/her qualifications
- Syllabus of course content must be relevant to you
- Aptitude training should be a part of a program as it helps the students to crack aptitude tests when they face different rounds of interviews. Mock interviews should be conducted, which provide students valuable tips for cracking real interviews. It keeps the candidate’s moral high and gives confidence
- Foreign language coaching should be provided, either in German or French languages for overseas placements
We try to get to the root of some myths surrounding software testing:
Testing is unexciting – Testing appears to be a dull and repetitive job. People have a misconception that the tester’s work is always the same and they keep doing the same data entry without any innovation.
Fact – Testing is an ongoing process and requires innovation and creativity at each level.
No training is required in testing – This is another myth, leading many to believe that testing is an easy job and requires no formal training and practice. People believe that it is not difficult to find and create the bug.
Fact – There are cases when testing is tedious and more complicated than development. In few of the projects sometimes it is hard to analyse the behaviour without code. Testers require an in-depth understanding of methods and processes of testing. Formal training is required to enhance the skills of the tester.
Software testing and quality control are same – 85% people think that software testing and quality control are the same. Quality control, software testing and quality assurance are similarly-used terms.
Fact – Testing is only a constituent of software quality control. It recognizes the bugs for a stakeholder. Quality control includes many other processes such as self-review, peer review, and structured walk.
The purpose of testing is to ensure a defect free product – Most people think that the prime objective of software testing to create 100% defect free products.
Fact – The aim of testing is to discover as many errors as possible, whileensuring that the software meets the requirements of the user. Identifying and resolving all the defects is not possible.
Automation process replaces the needs of manual testing – This common myth assumes that automated software testing are equivalent to the manual tests.
Fact – Automation tools cannot replace human feelings and emotion. For instance, a tool can test the colour, font, and layout of the screen but cannot analyze the judgment and skills required to develop the software.
In the profession of software development, testing plays an important role, which helps to improve the quality, reliability & performance of a software application. Without software testing, the quality and performance of the products released will fall, thus impacting the business. Also, once released, software issues and errors are more expensive to fix than when done in development phase.
Software Testing is important:
1. To discover defects
2. To avoid user detecting problems.
3. To prove that the software has no faults
4. To learn about the reliability of the software.
6. To ensure that product works as expected
Three Main Objective of software testing
(1) Determine that software meets end user requirements – Software Testing is not only about finding defects in code, it also checks products against requirements.It ensures that product meets its specification.
(2) Software Testing also demonstrates that the software is fit for use – Software Testing is done to make sure that software is fit for use for the client or user who will be using the software.
(3) Find Defects/Bugs in software – Software testing finds the defects or bugs in software. Fixing those defects or bugs improves the quality of software.
The software testing course is divided into two parts:
PSTD and PSTS, which includes ISTQB and real time projects.
- PSTD (Professional Software Testing Diploma) – Software Testing knowledge with fundamental Automation Tools
- PSTS (Professional Software Testing Specialist) – Software Testing knowledge with Advance Automation Tools
Course Duration of these courses: 140 Days
The regular fees of these courses: vary from institute to institute. However, software testing courses in Mumbai with course fee are in the range of 10,000/- to 25,000/-
You’ll learn in software testing course
- Testing throughout the testing lifecycle
- Test design techniques
- Static techniques
- Test Management
- Tools support for testing
This software testing course provides the following career benefits:
- This is a program that guides a professional in shaping a career as a software tester.
- Certified software testers are most needed-after by the IT recruiters as they are the foundation of successful products and projects.
- Improves skills on software testing through this course.
The quintessential premise on the basis of which every technology in the world is created is to reduce mechanical work by a human. However, that technology is not 100% foolproof and can often contain glitches which can hamper work. The easiest example that comes to mind is the Beta version of a new Microsoft Windows. It is the same case with automated testing in software.
Automated testing increases the speed of testing. It reduces labour costs since the process can go on even when a human is not present. But then, it is not as thorough as manual testing.
Problems encountered in automation testing
1. Unnaturally high expectations
It is normal to expect that automation will get rid of challenges faced due to manual testing. Vendors often harp about benefits of this process, and downplay the amount of effort needed to obtain the same. General optimism from automation is expected, but not optimism that points towards sky high expectations. So have reasonable expectations from automation.
2. Participating in poor testing practices
In case the testing practice is poor, where tests are poorly organised with inconsistent documentation and if tests are not effective in pointing out defects, then there is no point in automation. Therefore you need to improve your current testing practices.
3. Technical problems related to tools
The commercial test execution tools are sold by vendor companies, and are not completely immune to defects. Problems with third party products or your own applications can always crop up. You must give it the time necessary to solve such problems.
4. Expecting that automated tests will find several new defects
When the test is run for the first time, it is likely to find defects. But if it has run and already passed the test, no new defects will be found. So do not run the tests unnecessarily in the hope of finding new defects.